Sunday 2 December 2012

Television, for me and my country.

This time we have our second last lecture for media appreciation, and the topic for our second last lecture is about television, who invented the television, how television work in the past and until now, how did it affect the life of the people,blah blah blah, and so on.

Television! before I was born, my parents already owned a television inside the house, it was still black and white, and it is so expensive and it is so heavy, unlike nowadays, Plasma, LED,LCD and it is much cheaper if compare from the past. I'm so lucky that I was born in the age of colored television and I'm so happy that my house owned a television with a 50 inch of size! which is very expensive during that time in 1993. I remembered my first ever show which I watch in television was Doraemon! During that time there were no CD player,but instead, they use video tape player! I can continue watching the same shows frequently without getting bored since a video tape cost a lot for me.

After I reached the age at 7, our family subscribed to Astro service, which means that we can watch any international channel such as, CNN, BBC, NHK, ESPN and other channel which my family were so excited at that time. During the year of 2001, I remembered that it was the peak age that everyone started to watch television, because of 911 incident happened in New York, USA. I remembered that time it was 11th of September, 2001 9pm in Malaysia, my parents was so excited and they run to the tv room and asked me to switched the channel to Phoenix Channel, and I was not aware that I was watching a breaking tragedy news happened in USA! Television accompany my childhood ever since I was born, I also witnessed the changes in television, from a normal tv channel to Astro channel which I can watch channel from world wide!

And...let me talk a little bit about the local tv station in Malaysia, we have TV1, TV2, TV3, NTV7 and few more tv station which is less than around 20, and frankly speaking, Singapore has more local tv station than my country which I don't understand why, and I personally doesn't support those local tv station in my home country, mainly because.......my point is always got related about national politics and this time it is also the same, because our local tv station is mainly controlled by our government! it is the fact that our government controlled nearly all the mainstream media in Malaysia, there is a few strong evidence to prove that our government controlled the local tv station, FIRST one, as a democratic country, all the political party should has the right and privilege to use the local tv to advertise their party to gain the vote during any election period, but every time when I switched to any local tv station, I can only see only those ruling party of the federal government which is BN, on the tv, they only shows how good BN government are, and the local didn't allowed the opposition party which included, PKR, PAS and DAP to promote themselves in the tv, which is totally unfair to the nation, the party and the people! No wonder the opposition leader have to go to all the single places in Malaysia to make his political speeches (ceramah). For the SECOND one, during Bersih 2.0 rally in Kuala Lumpur, a lot of people witnessed that few police officer kicked and whacked those who got caught by them during the rally, there is even video on Youtube but the funny part is, the local tv said that the police has done a great job during the rally, they had ensure the 'safety' of the civilians during the rally, what kind of nonsense is this?! And there is video to proved that our Federal Reserved Unit, (FRU) did shot the tear gas right to the Tong Shin hospital, but the local tv argued that it is just the problem of the angle and they didn't do that. Well, it is sad to see that our local television has not basic freedom but we believe that we can make a change during the next coming general election.

Nowadays I can see that a lot of people seldom watch television, mainly because they can watch it through their smart phone and also their laptop, there are people even said that television is going to extinct soon in future, but I think that this is impossible! because we do watch live football from television from the past until now, and there are people who love to watch the daily tv news through television rather than watch it through phone, this also shows that television is still wanted  in the society and I believe television will last forever and after.



No comments:

Post a Comment